Sunday, April 28, 2013

Oh to be a writer...


I think I have always had a creative side. Whether is was pretending and acting or singing and entertaining, I have always loved using my imagination. One this is for sure, I can not decorate, but that is neither here nor there. 

My senior year in high school I discovered reading. Now before some get all "She couldn't read?!" Of course I could read. Maybe I should say that I discovered the LOVE of reading. In Mrs. Cook's Senior lever English class we were presented with Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.
I fell in love with impossible circumstances, overcoming the odd, and--what girls doesn't love--happily ever after. I started dabbling in writing then with a few short stories but shortly after graduation I got married, had a couple kids and finished nursing school. Needless to say, writing was put on hold. 

After nursing school I started reading again...a lot! I was on the frequent flyer list at both branches of our local library and then my awesome, fantastic and outrageously handsome husband bought me a Kindle for Christmas. ahhhhh...be still my heart! (Guess which--the kindle or the hubs--makes my heart pitter patter :-))

A few years ago I started dabbling again, just a scene here and a scene there. Then I started following some of my favorite authors on social media. One of those authors is Alexa Grace. 

As in a previous post, I explained the Q&A and how it was fan requested. Let me explain and little more in detail.

I read a free read--who doesn't love FREE-- off of amazon.com that was the first in a series by Alexa Grace. I normally expect the cheesy, lovey dovey, expected romance off of the free list but I was pleasantly surprised! So I then bought the 2nd, then the 3rd and then I looked Ms. Grace up on Facebook. Much to my surprise there, she was a real person that talks to you...not AT you. She engages her readers not just entertains. I, in that moment, said that if I ever became a published author then I would be like her. So I joined her "Street Team." We are an inner circle of loyal fans that enjoy not only the works but the author of those works. We are patiently...or maybe not so patiently...waiting on her new series to come out. During this time, I asked Alexa if she would be willing to do a Q&A from her fans, for her fans. She JUMPED at the chance. 

The reason I am so excited about this question is because this is my question. I may never actually publish the book I am working on now, but I know that I will never give up.

Interview with PROFILE OF EVIL Author Alexa Grace
What is some advice for novice/unpublished writers that are wanting to become a published author?
Write your book. Write every day and don't stop until it is finished. Then go back and proofread and edit. If you self-publish, hire a professional editor and a book cover designer. It's a big mistake not to do this. Invest in your book and your career.
My latest book, Profile of Evil will be released in early May 2013. In PROFILE OF EVIL, Carly Stone is a brilliant FBI agent who's seen more than her share of evil. Leaving the agency, she becomes a consultant for Indiana County Sheriff Brody Chase. He needs her help to catch an online sex predator who is luring teenage girls to their death in his community.
To be the first to be notified when PROFILE OF EVIL is released, join Alexa's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/AuthorAlexaGrace and/or subscribe to her newsletter at: http://eepurl.com/sJ-Df

No comments:

Post a Comment